Monday, January 23, 2012

Competition: Jiu Jitsu

Won gold in the blue belt division at the sub-fighter tournament.  Hard work pays off.  Each tournament  I compete in I have done better.  This may be an obvious statement, but there seems to be a direct correlation between training time and confidence in tournaments, also between confidence and success.  Every one seems to have these rituals when it comes to tournaments, few groups of people are more superstitious than athletes, whether they realize it or not.  But none of that matters when you know you have more hours on the mat than the guy on the other side of the ring.  With 5 hour days, 6 days a week, I feel that as long as I compete with in my division, no one can beet me.  I could be wrong, but I believe it was Buddha who said, "what you think you will become", and if I believe I can win, than I usually will win.

If you train harder than someone, and you believe in your self more than some one.  You will win.  Marcelo Garcia said in an interview that when he started competing he would always try to act and look tough; to show no fear.  However, as he started winning competitions he realized this had nothing to do with it his success, and that it came down to the simple fact he trained more than his opponents.  Perhaps I am wrong, with only 5 tournaments under my belt I am still a newbie to this sport, but it worked for Marcello and it seems to be working for me.

Gracie Nationals is this weekend, time to put my theory to the test on a slightly larger stage, trying to round up the money for this expensive tournament ASAP. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment