Thursday, January 12, 2012

Commitment

I discovered Jiu Jitsu a little later than some.  I had a brown belt in Karate and found my self in a MMA fight in Kentucky with absolutely no idea what MMA really was.  The extent of my ground game was ground n' pounding a punching bag in my garage for 6 weeks before this fight.  While the fight was close, I lost in a split decision, and it gave me the same wake up call that Royce Gracie gave the world when he won UFC 1 in 1993.  I knew then this was something that I HAD to learn.

To make a long drawn out love story into something short and sweet.  I spent more and more of my time in the gym.  Eventually realizing that this was the life path for me.  I have reached a crossroads in my life and have come to the realization that at age 21 it is time to either take a risky plunge into full time training and accomplish something great, get lost in the seemingly infinite crowd of people trying to find their way through the American education system.

I chose the former.  I had always felt my future laid outside the world of endless 8 hour days, and working simply to make a living.  I wanted something more, and in Jiu Jitsu I had found it; a way to spend my life doing what I love.  In this blog, hope to inspire others to do the same.  To go after what they want and leave behind the limitations of what they think is possible.  To forget the underestimations of themselves and just take a leap of faith.  This is the story of my leap of faith.  This is the live update of what happens to me as I decide not to believe that growing up means making compromises.  This is my journey into the alternate universe that is Jiu Jitsu.

I have quit school, working part time between my training sessions to pay for training and things related to it, and moved in to a small room in the back of the gym.  It's all or nothing.  Let's see how this works out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment