Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Winning is a State of Mind. Not a Score on the Scoreboard

First off, let me say that in any of my posts, if i share an opinion or a claim, I am not in any way trying to pretend to be some Jiu Jitsu guru with this huge store of boundless information.  I am student of this game, absolutely nothing more.  This blog is simply a sharing of lessons that I learn, as I learn them.  That being said, I would like to share what I learned today.

I arrived early to class today, so I thought I would watch the kids wrestling class.  I heard the wrestling coach tell the kids something that was interesting.  He said, "Winning is a state of mind. Not a score on the scoreboard."  At first it didn't make sense to me.  I thought, winning a match in its definition is scoring more points than the other guy. 

But the phrase resonated in me, and I began to think bigger.  I don't think he was referring to one single match.  I believe he was referring to true winning; winning the title or the championship; consistent winning.  I think he was right, because sure scoring more points will win you a match, but to truly win, to be a champion, you need the state of mind.  It reminds of me of a quote I once read.  The quote was, "success comes from a state of mind knowing that you did everything that you possibly could to prepare."  This was my mantra for many of my tournaments when I thought I might face people who were more experienced than myself.

What I concluded from this lesson was that in order to succeed, you must have the right state of mind, and in order to get that state of mind, you must do everything in your power to make sure you are the best you can possibly be.  Work hard for your goals and you will reach them.

I hope this post will help some of you.  Thanks for reading.

Nick

1 comment:

  1. I like when people dig deep in the meaning, however I suggest that you could maybe dig a little deeper for that statement: '' winning is a state of mind ''. The reason I tell you this is because myself I came up to this sentence and decided to check out on google if by chance a few brains were sharing that philosophy of mine.

    After reading a few line of yours, with some disapointement, I realised that you did not quit made it to what I would have hoped when I decided to take the time to read you. No offense intended.

    Winning or Losing... That is extremly relative in the first place. When I think of '' winning is a state of mind '', I mean that beyon simply winning or losing, there is a goal to reach. That goal is a decision, while it is often dictated by others, some people have suffisent independence to decide for themselve. Some dont even care for it, but care more instead to bring controvercy on the matter wich drive them to do differently than others. Ill lose something on purpose just to prove the point that I didnt lose it in my mind. Because my goal was to lose, in a way, I won.

    Again, I believe that it is important to always keep in mind the relativity on such questions. Wether it is beauty, better or worse, bad or good, etc.

    Have a good day friend,
    Shoyras.

    ReplyDelete