Thursday, February 16, 2012

Setting Goals for Jiu Jitsu

I read an article in Grapple Arts that talked about how it's important to set goals. Ze Mario Sperry, former three time world champ and former time ADCC champ, was talking about how he used to set goals, write them down, then post them all over his house so that he saw them every where he went. The article talked about making them reachable yet challenging. This way you can evaluate the quality and progress of your training. Also, achieving a goal of any kind will help you feel confident in your ability to accomplish things.

So, these are the goals that I'm setting for my self...


1. Survive 5 minutes in a leg-war roll with a particular guy in my gym that has an excellent leg lock game by the end of February. (Leg-wars is when you start in 50/50 guard and go only for leg leg locks)

2. submit or sweep 10 fellow blue belts using Rubber Guard by March 20th. (I can't start working on this until I'm fully heeled from my injury so hopefully that will be March 1st).

3. Get my purple belt by my 22nd birthday. My birthday is December 18th.

I think all of these are pretty reachable.  At the moment the first one is probably the most important thing to me.  Since leg locks are the weaker part of my game, achieving that would show significant improvement for me.  I challenge all of you guys to set goals of your own!  Don't take it from me, take it from Ze Mario. 


Here's the article I was reading.  It actually has a lot of other good stuff in it.

Thanks for reading guys,

Please, help this site grow and "like" the Facebook page or share this article on Facebook or Twitter.

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment