Thursday, February 9, 2012

Training Injury


So last night I was training, and it was slightly more eventful than my usual roll. My average training day doesn't usually consist of rolling with a top 10 light heavy weight fighter, then getting my elbow blown out by a purple belt, comin' at me like 120 pound spider monkey.  Over all it was a mixture of good and bad things that left me lying awake with a whole lot of mixed emotions.

The fighter I rolled with was Lorenz Larkin.  He was a nice guy, he asked me to roll and introduced himself.  Its funny when you meet people that you see on T.V. and they are just regularly people, just like you, trying to achieve their goals.  I actually did pretty well with him.  I gave him a run for his money trying to pass my guard and was able to survive his submission attempts.  Granted, this was probably his 3rd work out of the day, and if we were fighting with MMA rules my head would of been smashed in, (It was clear that he was going easy on me though, he knew he had 60 pounds on me) but I was still proud of myself.  Lorenz was awesome, and he really had good technique for such a big guy

Then came the bad part.  I rolled with a guy that has a purple belt from another school, but comes and trains with us from time to time.  Now, I knew this guy, and he is a cool dude, but today he seemed to be goin kind of hard.  I'm a pretty relaxed dude when I roll.  Unless I am doing competition training, I like to go slow and think about technique and be calm.  So i was not expecting the leaping no handed cartwheel pass, flying passed me strait to my back.  I will admit, it was an impressive pass.  So the guy is on my back, I defend the choke, and I look to flatten out on my back to escape.  He decides to transition to an arm bar.  He transitioned quick and my arm was almost fully extended but I was just holding on.  Unfortunately, in the scramble my arm turned sideways, putting an Americana type bend in it, my opponent hipped into it hard.

It was at right then I hear the "RRRIIIPPP" coming from the inside of my elbow.  I knew something was torn.  The guy I rolled with felt pretty bad, but I couldn't talk to him.  I felt sick to my stomach.  It wasn't the pain in my elbow that bothered me it was the thought that after all of the long hours I had put on the mats I could possibly need to take 6 months off and delay the plans that I had for my career.

Don't ask me why I am so obsessed with training, I just am!  Haha.  After seeing the doctor though, it seems to only be a minor tear.  I should be back at it with in a few weeks.  Guess I'll be watching the UFC fights quietly crying to my self in pile of boredom until then.  I'm sure my friends will be happy though, they always complain they never see me because of my training schedule.



If you like this article share it on facebook with the button below.

Thanks guys,

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment