Thursday, February 2, 2012

be humble or get humbled

This post is about my weaknesses, and what I need to work on as a grappler.  The list is longer than I care to mention.  However, there are two that really stick out in my mind and need to improve on.  One is posture.  I have learned that posture is everything one of the most important aspects of jiu jitsu, no matter what the position you are in, you will always have more power if you posture is good.  My posture is okay when I am in a closed guard and simply avoiding submission, but I make the same mistake I say many of my peers do, and that is loose my posture wants I begin to maneuver around and put pressure on my opponents legs.  Guard passing will be something I will try to drill a lot this week.  To establish the posture in my muscle memory. 



The second is my hesitation.  I read a great article on the grapple arts website, they collected tips from all of the top grapplers and compiled them into one article.  In the article they quote Wallid Ismail saying, "To make the move work, you’ve got to believe it will work."  This is something that I think will develop in time.  Confidence, after all, is bred from success.  This probably goes back to drilling, if I have drilled a move 1,000 times, I will not even think about it in the roll, it will just happen with no hesitation.  I will just know the move. 

It looks like both of my problems, like most problems in jiu jitsu, can be solved by drilling.  Drills, drills, drills.  I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks for reading guys and girls

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment