Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A blessing in disguise: Leg Locks



I think that there are always good times and bad times in everything that you do, but I believe that there is a positive side to every negative event. It takes practice, but if you cant find a way to turn set backs into opportunities, your going to be a hard force to stop when you set your mind to something.

As I shared earlier that I got hurt last week; partial tendon tear in my elbow.  Its improving at a surprisingly fast rate, thanks to acupuncture and God! But the doc says that I need to stay off of it for another three weeks even if it doesn't hurt any more. When I first got hurt, I can't lie, I was super frustrated. I didn't want to take time off. So I decided that I wouldn't let my injury stop me from improving my game.  I realized that my elbow getting blown out of commission could possibly be exactly what I needed to take my game to the next level.

I've noticed lately that the biggest weakness in my game is my leg lock defense.  I've been getting tapped with ankle locks, heal hooks, and toe holds more than any thing else.  Now normally, I don't enjoy practicing leg locks or leg lock defense.  I think its boring.  However, with my arms in a useless state, I got nothing but time to hone in my leg lock defense.  I'll be doing nothing but that for the next three weeks.  When I can finally get back to my real rolls, I'll be unleglockable! Not really, but I'll have made a serious improvement.

This is perfect timing too because NAGA is coming up in Las Vegas and all leg locks are allowed in this tournament.  Its funny how things always tend to work out.  These things always assure me that God has a plan for me.  Even the worst things in life can turn out to help you with something that you never saw coming in the future.  I'm telling you, there is a positive inside of every negative, you just gotta find it.

So I'll be doing more leg locks in the next few weeks than I ever have before.  I'll try to get some videos up here and share the moves that I learn.  There's even a leg lock seminar coming up that is being put on by a Gene Le Bell black belt.




Thanks for reading guys,

If you like this post please share it on Facebook!

Nick


No comments:

Post a Comment